Ok, but what is it? Fair trade certified products are based on six key principles to benefit the farmers and workers, their communities, and the environment:
- Fair prices- at least the market price, more if the product is organic.
- Fair working conditions - safe working conditions and fair wages.
- Direct trade - importers purchase directly from farming groups as much as possible, eliminating the middle man and empowering the farmers to develop business skills.
- Democratic organizations- fair trade farmers and workers decide how money is spent in the community.
- Community development - the farmer organizations invest money back into the community for projects such as schools, leadership training, organic certification.
- Environmental sustainability - agrochemicals and GMOs are strictly prohibited.
For more information on Fair Trade practices and to find companies that are Fair Trade USA certified, visit the Fair Trade USA website.