June 3, 2013

Top Ten Memories of Volunteering With Amazon CARES (Part 2/2)

By Shannon Sullivan

In June 2011 I had the privilege of traveling to Iquitos, Peru, to volunteer with Amazon CARES. While the entire experience was memorable and life-changing, I have narrowed down the top ten memories of my jungle adventure.

You can learn about upcoming veterinary volunteer trips at
and other ways to volunteer (even from home!) the Amazon CARES website.


6. Experiencing Another Culture

Seeing firsthand another culture and another way of life was quite fascinating and humbling. I was lucky enough to attend a carnival celebrating the holiday Fiesta de San Juan during my visit.

At left: traffic to the carnival. At right: enjoying ice cream at the carnival.


7. Making New Friends

During my two weeks volunteering, I made many new friends who I still keep in touch with today.


 

8. Touring A Village Hospital  

In Nueva Esperanza, a village we worked in, we were given a tour of the village's hospital. The hospital provides services to fourteen local villages.

Only a few days before our visit a woman had delivered a healthy baby at the hospital.





9. Meeting the People

Meeting the locals at each mobile site was wonderful. Everyone I met was very kind and friendly. The children were playful and their laughter was contagious.  I was taken aback by the generosity of everyone I met. We were welcomed into homes for meals, and if we needed help transporting our supplies from village to village, we never had to look very far.


 

10. The Rainforest 

The rainforest's beauty and size cannot be accurately conveyed in words. The sights, sounds, and smells of the rainforest were soothing, yet exciting at the same time. Observing and interacting with the rainforest's animals was an experience I will never forget. The Peruvian Rainforest is without a doubt one of the most beautiful places I have ever been.


During a day off from work we visited a monkey sanctuary.
 
Missed Part 1 of this series? Read it here!    

You can help support upcoming Amazon CARES veterinary trips by visiting our Crowdrise site!

Learn about upcoming veterinary volunteer trips and other ways to volunteer (even from home!) at the Amazon CARES website.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

We love to hear your thoughts! Please comment below! Comments are moderated and spam comments will be deleted.