October 12, 2011

Saturday Blog Hop: Memorial to a Street Dog



Dear Street Dog:


I apologize for not giving you a name.  You deserved a name.  But my heart was breaking when the Veterinarian told me of your condition, and giving you a name would have made it worse.  I mourn you, even if others do not.


At one time you probably had a family.  Why did they abandon you?  Were you with your family when you got sick?  I wish they had taken you to a Veterinarian then.  I might not be saying goodbye to you today, had that been the case.


I´ve seen impossible cases...dogs that looked even worse than you, and they have healed and rebounded into beautiful dogs that find forever homes.  This was not your fate.  In addition to multiple tumors, including those in your lymph nodes, your heart was weak.  I knew the outcome, and asked if you could have a meal first.  I wanted you to feel some love in your last moments of life.

You had no appetite, rejecting the food and water we brought to you.  You went peacefully, and I will bury you with many other wonderful pets in the jungle at Cabo Lopez.


I feel the collective pain of animal rescuers everywhere.  No matter the ones we save...there is always so much more to be done.  Rest in Peace street dog.  Your life of suffering has ended, and I believe you are in a better place.  I longed to see your sores heal, and for your white hair to grow in.  That won´t happen for you on this Earth.  Please understand and be well.  I promise not to forget you.  

Love, Molly


This is a critical time for Amazon Community Animal Rescue, Education and Safety (Amazon CARES).  We have accomplished miracles since 2004, but we need YOUR help to survive. Please become a Supporting Member or  make a donation of any size today.

20 comments:

  1. What a sad story.
    Having spent time with both sick and healthy street dogs myself, I understand the way you feel and how you wish you could help them more and take their pain away.
    You must cherish the time you had and look forward to any more memorable encounters with future street dogs, they all have individual personalities and are a pleasure to interactive with.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you very much for your comment. Your words mean a lot. I wrote the blog in a moment of distress, but I wanted to accurately portray my feelings. It cheers me that you took time to comment. Molly

    ReplyDelete
  3. Said it before so forgive me for repeating myself..

    GOD BLESS THE AMAZON CARES PEOPLE!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Devin. And thank you for supporting us financially and for purchasing our calendars. Our fiscal outlook is not quite as strong as our desire to help this community. Tough times ahead...

    ReplyDelete
  5. My heart breaks and I am sitting here in tears. I wish I could help every single one of them. That image is burned in my mind.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tears for Street Dog. Thank you, Amazon Cares, for all the great work you do!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Street Dog - RIP. Thank you Amazon for saying true words and for doing what you could for this dog. My heart aches.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Carol and Kim: You both are women that I admire greatly. Thanks for taking the time to read and comment. It is always sad to remember those we can not save. Love, Molly (writing from Peru)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for your comment, Hound Girl.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It hurt my heart so bad to see this poor dog. I can´t understand how cruel people can be to an animal. I feel both so sad and such an anger when I think of the people that didn´t take care of this poor dog.I just want to put my arms around this dog and hold it tight. I can just say that I am so sorry that somebody treated U, dear dog so bad.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Molly, your post brought me to tears. Having seen so many sad little street dogs in Iquitos, and knowing that some are strong and survivors and some are weak, sick and unloved and will die, makes it even harder to see one of the ones who did not make it.

    What I do know is that your organization gives hope and that with education, spaying and neutering and the kindness that Amazon CARES gives to these neglected little dogs, and the volunteers that put in their time in Iquitos and nearby jungle communities, maybe someday, change will come to Iquitos.... I think of little street dog Negrita every day and remember how much she affected me when I came to Iquitos. She never forgot me, though over the past three years, sometimes it was nearly a year before I could return. Loyalty, undying love, that is what these wonderful animals give us....

    Take care, and I feel your pain.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you MS/Maritha and PupFan for commenting. Thank you for being animal lovers and advocates. We can dream of a day when no animals must suffer.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Debbie - the Amazon CARES office in Iquitos feels so empty without Negrita. She was a wonderful dog. Thanks for your wonderful words of encouragement. I hope to see you again soon!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Dear MS/Maritha, Pup Fan and Debbie Blair: Thank you for the kind comments. The support you all give to us is really important and means the world to our charity. We are here to make a better place for the innocent animals we rescue every day on the streets. Thank you again for the words of support.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Dear Street Dog,
    You led a life in poor conditions and when we found you, it was too late. Too late to save you, or even to make you comfortable enough to have a meal. I am very sorry, and I wanted you to know that I donated $100 in your memory, and also because I believe Amazon CARES does a wonderful job accomplishing miracles every day.
    Please R.I.P. and I hope you can now be safe and happy in heaven with your other fellows.

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a touching post. I so admire the work you do to help these forgotten dogs. Unfortunately, the kind of help Street Dog needed was to bring his suffering to an end. It's heartbreaking to imagine what his life must have been like, but comforting to know that in his last hours he was with people who loved him.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Almost too unbearable to see, to read. Thank you for caring.

    ReplyDelete
  18. How very heartbreaking. Thank you for doing what you do to make a difference. The world is a better place because of you.

    For me, I have to believe that "all dogs and animals go to heaven". This helps me to get through stories like this that I read and my own stories as well.

    I'm passionate about senior dogs and here's poem about about senior dogs in rescue if anyone would like to read it:
    A Poem About Senior Dogs In Rescue

    ReplyDelete
  19. YourOldDog, Thank you for commenting on this blog post. Thank you for sharing your poem with me. I am going to read it now.

    ReplyDelete

We love to hear your thoughts! Please comment below!