October 30, 2009

Nurses "Dream" is to Hold Huge Rodent!?!

Well, maybe not a rodent, more like a giant guinea pig!

October 20, 2009
by Veterinarian Naimi Collins


Hi there,

I’m Naima, a vet nurse from England. I work in small animal practice at home but have always had a keen interest in animal welfare around the world. When the opportunity arose with the WVS to help the street dogs in Peru I jumped at the chance. The beauty of this project is that you really can see the difference Amazon Cares makes.

The work is challenging and exciting at the same time! Living in the jungle and getting a boat along the Amazon River every day to get to work is anything but mundane. Yesterday above the meat market we had queues of people with their animals for treatments of all kinds. It’s interesting trying to communicate what’s needed in a different language, causing quite a few laughs at the same time.

On my second day I managed to get bitten by a capuchin monkey in the jungle wildlife rescue reserve! I also managed to hold the largest rodent/rat in the world which was so exciting for me as I have rescue ratties of my own at home.

The team I am with is a great bunch of people and the whole experience is so rewarding. The work of the local vets is amazing; the place is friendly, buzzy and full of culture. I am very proud to be working for the WVS and Amazon cares.


 Naima prepares for a free mobile veterinary clinic with supplies donated by the Worldwide Veterinary Service and the Brigitte Bardot Foundation.


Our volunteer activities are so important. You can help support our cause by purchasing a beautiful 2010 desk calendar and each donation of $30 or more will receive a complimentary calendar as well.





...
...

No comments:

Post a Comment

We love to hear your thoughts! Please comment below! Comments are moderated and spam comments will be deleted.